Bronzeville Chicago Bank Deal
Sold - $1,850,000
Daughrity Real Estate is pleased to announce the closing of the former South Side Trust and Savings Bank that occupies the northeast corner of East 47th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue, a prominent commercial intersection in the Kenwood neighborhood. The building was commissioned by the South Side State bank, first established in 1919 at 43rd and Cottage Grove Avenue. Construction of the present bank was completed in 1922 at $350,000. When it occupied the new building, the bank changed its name to the South Side Trust and Savings Bank and expanded its services to include commercial banking. Architect Albert A. Schwartz designed the two-story-tall bank building in the Classical Revival style. The well-proportioned facades are clad with both smooth-faced and ornately carved Indiana limestone. Two-story-tall limestone pilasters with Corinthian capitals divide the facade into regular bays with recessed window openings. Each window opening is decorated with a metal spandrel panel between the first and second floors, and the original metal mullions framing the first-floor bay windows have been retained.